Lucknow: The Samajwadi Party today celebrated the International Day of Yoga Day 2017 by undertaking ‘cycle yatras’ across the state.Directives were issued to party men by Samajwadi national president Akhilesh Yadav to take out cycle yatra at all district headquarter from 6 am and later perform yoga as per their convenience at their homes.
The party’s move has been seen as a counter to BJP’s yoga day programme in Lucknow in which Prime Minister Narendra Modi participated along with Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath.
“On directions of SP National President Akhilesh Yadav cycle yatras were taken out in the district headquarters by respective presidents and party office bearers on International Day of Yoga to give a message of environment conservation and health awareness”, SP spokesman Rajendra Chowdhury said.
Cycle is the election symbol of the Samajwadi Party.
Though Akhilesh has been extended an invitation by the Yogi government for the event in the city, he did not turn up at the venue.
When the Samajwadi Party was in power, it had shunned official celebrations on this day.
Meanwhile Prime Minister Narendra Modi reached Lucknow to performing asanas along with Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath and 51,000 participants at Ramabhai Ambedkar Sabha Sthal.
International Yoga Day 2017 was also observed in several states across the country.
Delhi residents came out in large numbers to celebrate the day at various gardens and public places, with a famous DDA park recording a turnout of close to 9,000 alone.
In Odisha, Union Ministers Dharmendra Pradhan and Jual Oram participating in programmes at Bhubaneswar and Sundargarh respectively.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi Lays Foundation Of Guwahati AIIMS
- UP Minister Seen At Beer Bar Opening, Asked by Yogi Adityanath To Explain
- PM Narendra Modi Offers Prayers At Lingaraj Temple in Bhubaneswar
- Sonia Gandhi and former Prime Minister Manmohan Singh paid homage to Rajiv Gandhi on 73rd Birth Anniversary
- Allahabad Man Takes To Digital Transactions, Gets Appreciation Letter From PM Modi
- India’s Economy has Become the Fastest Growing in the World since Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s Rule
- Full Story on Why Bihar Deputy CM Sushil Kumar Modi Filed Allegation Against Lalu Prasad and Family