BENGALURU: KR Market, one of Bengaluru’s oldest and largest heritage markets, will get a makeover and become visitor and trader friendly in the first ever work to be taken up by the state capital under the Smart City project. The BBMP, which plans to spend Rs 1,700 crore to improve infrastructure in the city under the Smart City project, will kick off the initiative by taking up renovation works at the popular market.
“KR Market is one of the historic economic hubs of Ben galuru and we are ready with the detailed project report for its upgradation and redevelopment. Soon, we will be floating tenders to implement the project. The work will start as and when the special purpose vehicle for the smart city project comes into force within a few weeks,” said BBMP commissioner N Manjunath Prasad.
Sources in the Palike said Malleswaram market is another heritage site which will get a makeover under the Smart City project. “KR Market and Malleswaram market together see a daily footfall of 30,000 and there are more than 1,200 vendors doing business here. These market spaces will be upgraded, keeping their heritage quotient intact,” he added.
Under the market renovation plan, the BBMP aims to retrofit the historic market centre through improved public transport connectivity and efficient circulation management.
“Integrating the proposed Metro station with the market through overhead pedestrian bridge is another move to ensure better access for market users. The focus will also be on efficient vending and increased retail footprint through efficient space management,” said an official closely associated with the Smart City project.
BBMP officials said at Malleswaram market too, smart initiatives such as CCTV surveillance, e-toilets, water ATMs and public bicycle share points will be taken up. Renovation of Shivajinagar bus station will be another Smart City initiative to be taken up soon.
- How Could Sydney Smart Streets Look Like After 20 Years From Now in 2037
- Subway Canada to Freshen Up the Look of its Stores as it Tries to Stem a Sales Decline
- Hyderabad Metro Rail Project Extended till November 2018
- Chinese Online Sales Giant Alibaba is to Compete Against Amazon & Google for Smart Speakers
- Locate Toilets in New Delhi Using NDMC311 Mobile App
- 4 Major Rivers Jhelum, Chenab, Indus & Ravi in Jammu and Kashmir Declared “National Waterways” by the Union Government
- Netaji Subhash Engineering College Students Invent Smart T-Shirt